Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 1 is done

The first day went pretty much as expected, except there was no rain to speak of. I just knew after looking at the forecast I was going to get drenched but it didn’t happen. I started with a slight mist but just for a few miles and it cleared up. There was a little sprinkle heading out of Lubbock and a brief (and welcome) shower riding into Denton. Other than that is was just perfect riding weather; slightly overcast, a little cool and dry. Nice!

I left at 4:30 and stopped twice for gas and got into Lubbock about 1:30 (local). Purely by chance there was a Whataburger on the corner of my freeway exit so I indulged myself for lunch. There is nothing close to a Whataburger in Colorado. It’s one of those things.

After lunch I head over to Jason’s new house and got the grand tour. Nice digs! Very nice!

Jason and I left Lubbock a little after 2PM and stopped once for gas and arrived at Carlton’s at 8PM on the dot just a couple of minutes behind Mitch. We were treated to homemade sub sandwiches (turkey on whole wheat for me) and they were spot-hitting indeed.

In keeping with tradition, Carlton had found some wind-powered, flashing led lights that mount on our helmets as an embarkation gift so he gave everybody one and although I had to modify mine a bit to make it fit around the vent I think it’s cool.

I cleaned the bugs off my bike in preparation for tomorrow and I’m sitting here listening to the Ranger game and generally kicking back.

We have an 0500 wake-up planned for an 0600 departure (lots of ground to cover tomorrow.) So I’m going to wrap this up.

Tomorrow’s post should be complete with pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hey there, You have done an excellent job.
I'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.

Take a look at my web blog; Cccam server free Test